Tuesday, June 17, 2008

hanami

Hanami means "cherry blossom viewing party" in English. But it can best be described as a picnic somewhere scenic with lots of food and booze under the blooming trees. I went to Shin Rin Koen with some of my advanced students nearly a week after I started here. The sakura (cherry blossoms) just started to bloom- they become much more impressive later in the spring. One thing can be said about the Japanese- drinking in public is OK. On multiple occaissions I've gone to picnics in the mornings and they'll all pop out beers. I've seen old men drinking while riding bikes. Parks with groups of more than 30 making a toast. It's a beautiful thing to see.

I also met this awesome dog from Portland. He's 15 years old and still speaks a little English.



No comments: